Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
Gameungsa was founded in 802 (the 3rd year of King Aejang of Silla) by National Preceptor Bojo Chejing. At the time of its founding, it was called Gameunsa or Gameungam. After its founding, it underwent several reconstructions and repairs, but its history before the Japanese invasions of Korea (Imjin Waeran) is not recorded. It was burned down during the Japanese invasion in 1592 (the 25th year of King Seonjo) and rebuilt in 1675 (the 2nd year of King Sukjong). It was repaired again in 1740 (the 16th year of King Yeongjo), in 1780 (the 4th year of King Jeongjo), and in 1921, continuing to the present day. More recently, in the 1970s, Monk Pyeongta established Yeongseonwon and repaired the Daeungjeon, leading to the present state.
* The Story of King Aejang's Prince and the Eagle, the Legend of Gameungsa According to the founding legend of Gameungsa, King Aejang had a prince in his old age, but the prince was born with poor eyesight and could not see. After trying all kinds of medicine to no avail, the queen visited famous mountains to pray. One day, a Taoist appeared in a dream and said, "Tomorrow morning, an eagle will appear at the gate. Follow that eagle, and you will reach a place with medicinal water. Wash the eyes with that medicinal water and drink it, and the eye disease will be cured." The next day, following the Taoist's words, they followed the eagle and indeed found medicinal water. After washing the prince's eyes with the water and having him drink it, the eye disease was cured. King Aejang, attributing this to the Buddha's grace, built Gameungsa in front of the medicinal water and named the mountain on which the temple sits Yeongchuisan, meaning "spirit eagle mountain." The medicinal water in front of the temple is called Ongnyujeong, and even today, the water is cold and sweet, attracting many visitors.
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
경상북도 성주군 월항면 대산1길 234
Travel fit
Attraction · Gyeongsangbuk-do





