Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
This is a Joseon Dynasty pavilion located in Samgye-myeon, Imsil-gun. There is no exact record of when Gwangjejeong was built, but it is presumed to have been built during the lifetime of Mr. Yang Don, whose pen name was Gwangjejeong. Yang Don was born in the 7th year of King Sejo (1461) and passed away at the age of 70 in the 7th year of King Jungjong (1512). He passed the Samasi (lower-level civil service exam) in the 9th year of King Seongjong (1498) and lived in seclusion in Asan-bang (present-day Bonghyeon-ri) during the Muo Sahwa (literati purge). He was exemplary in writing and virtue. Later, he was summoned by the court upon the recommendation of Nam Hyo-on, but he refused to hold office and spent the rest of his life quietly until his death. Originally, the pavilion was located in Gwangje Village, Hucheon-ri, Samgye-myeon, but was moved to its current location in the 9th year of King Gojong (1872). Gwangjejeong has a front of 3 kan (bays) and a side of 2 kan, and is characterized by having one ondol (heated) room in the center of the pavilion. The pavilion stands on a three-tiered stone platform with a stepped passage in the middle. Unusually for a pavilion, it features dancheong (traditional decorative coloring). Gwangjejeong has been maintained by descendants, and after the teacher's death, residents built Agyesa (shrine) and hold ancestral rites every spring and autumn.
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
전북특별자치도 임실군 삼계면 세심길 82
Travel fit
Attraction · Jeollabuk-do



