Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
Geumsanseowon was established in 1707 (the 33rd year of King Sukjong) by local Confucian scholars to commemorate the scholarship and virtue of Heo Jin-su. It was demolished in 1868 (the 5th year of King Gojong) due to Heungseon Daewongun's decree abolishing private Confucian academies, but the lecture hall was rebuilt in 1897, the east dormitory and gate in 1906, and the shrine in 1926, leading to its present state. The buildings on the grounds include the three-bay Gyeongmosa, the four-bay Sudeokheon, the three-bay Dongjae (east dormitory), an outer gate, and a four-bay storage house. The shrine, Gyeongmosa, enshrines the spirit tablet of Heo Jin-su. Sudeokheon serves as a lecture hall, consisting of a room and a wooden floor; the room is used for ritual officials, assistant officers, and preparation rooms, while the floor is used for various events and gatherings of Confucian scholars. This academy holds a ritual every March.
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
경상북도 포항시 남구 장기면 신창길191번길 25-12
Travel fit
Attraction · Gyeongsangbuk-do






