Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
MuWon Seowon, located in Wangsan-ri, Sinyeong-myeon, Yeongcheon-si, was founded in 1630 (the 8th year of King Injo) by Confucian scholars of Yeongcheon to enshrine the portraits of Munhyogong Ha Yeon (1376–1453) and his wife, Lady Yi of Seongju. Ha Yeon was a civil official of the early Joseon Dynasty who served as Yeonguijeong (Chief State Councillor), and his writings include [Gyeongsangdo Jiriji] and [Jinyang Yeongo]. A seowon is a private local educational institution of the Goryeo and Joseon periods, established to enshrine the spirit tablets of eminent Confucian scholars, conduct ancestral rites, and provide education and moral guidance to local residents. MuWon Seowon was demolished in 1868 (the 5th year of King Gojong) under Heungseon Daewongun's decree abolishing seowons, and was later restored in modern times. The grounds feature a lecture hall and a shrine arranged in a jeonhak humyo layout (lecture hall in front, shrine behind), along with east and west study halls (Dongjae and Seojae) and an outer triple gate (Oesammun). Address: 152-26 Chisan Hyoryeong-ro, Sinyeong-myeon, Yeongcheon-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do.
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
경상북도 영천시 신녕면 치산효령로 152-26
Travel fit
Attraction · Gyeongsangbuk-do

