Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
Jungang High School was established in 1910 through the merger of Gihohakgyo, founded in 1908 by patriotic figures from the Giho region, and Yunghui School, founded by Heungsadan in September 1910. In November 1910, they were all integrated and the school name was changed to Jungang School. In 1915, it was taken over by Kim Seong-su, and in 1917, a new school building was constructed and moved to Gyesan Hill. The main building, west wing, and east wing were completed in December, and the school building at that time was a two-story brick building. The main building was destroyed by fire in 1934, but construction began again in June 1935 under the design of Park Dong-jin (1899–1980), a modern Korean architect who also designed the main building and library of Korea University and the Chosun Ilbo building, and was completed in September 1937. The main building, west wing, and east wing of Jungang High School are each designated as historic sites. The main building stands facing the school gate and is a modern two-story building made of stone concrete and reinforced steel. In the center of the H-shaped symmetrical floor plan is a four-story tower in the style of a medieval Gothic castle, with faculty offices on the first floor and classrooms on the second floor on both sides. The west wing was completed in October 1921 as a two-story red brick building, and the architect is uncertain. With the old main building (where the statue now stands) destroyed by fire in 1934 as the center, the east wing is on the left and the west wing is on the right. It is a two-story building built with alternating grayish-white granite and red bricks. The architect is a Japanese person named Nakamura Yokohei. The floor plan is T-shaped, with a protruding gable. All classrooms are located here. Additionally, it is the place where the Joseon Boy Scouts were founded after the March 1st Movement, and where the June 10 Independence Movement and the Gwangju Student Movement began. The east wing is a two-story red brick building completed in October 1923, built to the left of the old main building destroyed by fire in 1934, facing the west wing across from it. Like the west wing, the architect and builder are not recorded and are uncertain. The structure and features of the east wing are similar to those of the west wing. It is a Gothic-style red brick building with a slate roof. The floor plan is T-shaped, with a protruding gable.
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
서울특별시 종로구 창덕궁길 164
Travel fit
Attraction · Seoul




